Saturday, November 13, 2010

How America Is Viewed By Others

Studying America via literature and the News Media can have a negative effect on those within the borders of America and can make America look like the big bully in the playground trying to take someone’s toy.  Many of the comments written by the students from the UK who are studying our way of life would be fascinated to learn that what you see on the telly is not what you experience in person.  For example, watching the BBC has you think that every British citizen drinks nothing but tea but on a recent trip to London, I was able to walk to most any neighborhood and not only see a Starbucks, there was a line inside.  When I entered Starbucks and stood in line, most of the orders were for coffee and some hot chocolate, very few orders of tea. 
America is not perfect and we use the media to keep us in line.  The freedom of press is so important in America, it can drive you insane by trying to avoid it.  However, you must not let all your news comes from one source and especially a biased source such as Fox News.  While I do watch Fox, I dilute it with equal amounts of MSNBC and CNN.  When I want to learn how others view America, I watch or read BBC news because it does not lean left or right.  Just straight news that gives an unvarnished view of America. 
Hollywood does not represent America but is reflective of what is going on in America.  Directors like Oliver Stone and Michael Moore are one side of the spectrum while Mel Gibson and Clint Eastwood are strong opposition.  Movies (and books) like “To Kill a Mockingbird” held a mirror to our views and it did show in the cinema at the right time.  Unlike “Malcolm X”, which did not reflect the current standings of African Americans but did appear at a time where tensions were high in race relationships with news story of the Rodney King beating and the OJ Simpson trial. 
Shows on television do not reflect America as well.  The majority of shows are not reflective of everyday citizens and the reason for that is the middle class and below want to reflect on the troubles that money can buy.  Watching “Gossip Girl” and “The OC” allows us to see people who did not really worry about money but deal with the treachery of each other.  While the everyday citizen is concerned with earning enough to pay bills and keep a job, it is a guilty pleasure to watch a family backstabbing each other to inherit millions.
As for being a World Superpower, that is a role that we relish and hate.  We relish it because it shows that people understand that what we are trying to do is for the best for the world, not just for us.  We hate it for the fact that people think we are using it to push little countries around.  President Bush did just that to Iraq.  None of the reasons that led us to remove Saddam from power were true.  Still today, he is going around saying that while the reasons were flawed, it was still for the good of the world because we have spread democracy.  I think the cost was too high to pay.  I miss every single American soldier, sailor and airman who lost their life to follow a cause that was led with lies.  Nevertheless, as a world power, we have to go forth and do those tough things that others are too afraid to do.
Fortunately, we have a strong ally in the UK.  Brave people who know that the tough jobs need to be done.  I think they are just as brave as any American is and I gladly stand beside them if they should ever call for help.

5 comments:

  1. Luis, I am one of the students of East Anglia University and I came across your blog on How America is viewed by others. From what you have said, it is interesting to see how in both the UK and USA, there are stereotypes that are built up by the media about the other nation. As having never lived in America, it is hard to imagine the American portrayal of life in England. I’m sure it is very different to the English view, much the same as our view on America is influenced by the influx of US media. Furthermore, it also caught my eye that the news in America has to be taken with a pinch of salt. As in Britain, BBC is the main source for television news (with a few others) and is accepted as being neutral in it’s views and opinions.
    In addition, in my opinion the United States is not seen as a bully to other countries, although some decisions by the Bush Regime may be disputed. The power that America has and can exert is a slight worry though, as decisions that she makes, will have a direct consequence on us and other countries.

    Chris Davies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    first, I love your title - belonging to the "others" is quite a weird feeling but it certainly grabs the attention.
    You seem to have quite a strong reaction to our texts, and to me it seems more protective and hurt than actually unbiased - I do not believe any of uni students in England actaully believes Gossip Girl (or Fox News for that matter) to be truthful images, although some people might be strongly influenced by it.
    Just out of curiosity, what are the other images on England you get from TV etc, other than tea drinking? I am wondering whether the UK is seen differently from the USA and from western/middle Europe, this might be an interesting conversation if put in motion.
    Thanks for reading the comment,
    Anna (from UEA)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Luis,
    I was so intrigued to hear what you guys at Temple would think of our What America Means to me essays.When i first applied for this degree couse in American Studies i did so because i adore your country. So it came as a suprise to me when reading my fellow students essays on what America means to them, to find such negativity. I can not help but understand why and see it from both sides, but i can not say i agree with everything they say.
    I totally agree with you when you say that world media and TV shows do not portray America in a good light. Shows such as 'The OC' and even 'Friends', i feel play on the American Dream. These programes show groups of friends living life to the fullest.
    I was also suprised that you feel the BBC are unbiased considering they are run by our government. British tax payers pay for the BBC as they do not receive funding from advertisement as they do not screen adverts, (which is a massive bonus for viewers). Their budget each year is determined by the British government and the boss of the BBC is also chosen by the government. In this day and age where us viewers have the choice of thousands of channels, it is hard to see how any channel can be unbiased in any way.
    I would love to hear what American's think of our shows, if you guys watch any of them? England seems to be obsessed with American dramas such as CSI, House, 24, Friends, The Simpsons etc, so i would love to find out what Temple students think of our English dramas, especially our soap opera's such as 'Coronation Street' and 'Eastenders', as these shows are meant to depict what real life in cities such as Manchester and London are really like, as i believe they show England in a bad light as do 'The OC' and 'Gossip Girl' do for America.
    Kind regards

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for reading my post.

    Chris Davies
    Chris – American news is not to be taken seriously in my view. I watch Foxnews and MSNBC to get opposing views but I like CNN to give me the news with no bias towards left or right leaning political parties. The Bush Regime did do a lot of damage to the US image and they seem unapologetic. America has to be aware that decisions we make have a butterfly effect.
    Anna (from UEA)

    Anna,
    I am defensive of America and believe it to be one of the best countries in the world. The hurt comes in when “Others” see us as a lighting rod for trouble and hate. I do love America and spent twenty years traveling the world trying to be an ambassador of good will and positive interaction with many countries. I hoped (and still do hope) that my interactions with citizens from countries I visited leave with a good, strong impression of America and Americans.
    As for my views on England, I love it. I have traveled around the world and have a view most people do not have. I am a lover of history and England’s history is very rich. I watch BBC America often and love some of those shows. I had tried (and continue to try) to live in England and it was not until this past Christmas that I finally landed on your shores. I tried to take in so many historical sites but due to logistics, I was unable to see it all. I stayed out in Canterbury and drove most every day of the week I stayed back and forth to London.

    Rachel,
    My family and I was taken with British TV since we first discovered the BBC. We were living in Japan at the time and got to watch old shows like “Are You Being Served” and “Keeping up Appearances.” One day on a trip to Mount Fuji, I picked up a DVD to watch on the bus ride and discovered “Couplings.” Absolutely love it! Jeff is my favorite. The Family was hooked on Eastender when we were there and tried to follow along when we got back to find out who killed Archie. (He died while we were there watching.) For us, we know that TV does not show a true representation of life there, but we would like to think it is more like “Gavin and Stacy” then “Hotel Babylon”

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also just started taking in "How Not To Live Your Life", " Mutual Friends" and "No Heroics." Two other favorites are "My Family" and "As Time Goes By". We just finish watching the first season of the new Sherlock Holmes too.

    Sorry. There are so many shows that I love that I feel I am missing so many. Just wish your seasons were longer or the DVD's cost less.

    ReplyDelete