The Museum of Natural Science located on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway is a current, fascinating look at a modern living museum. The Dioramas provide a three dimensional view of animals in what may be considered a natural environment. The sound of rushing water near the sea creature display even had me looking for the sea. I watched a small child giggle with glee watching his mother run from dinosaurs on a large screen. Jesse Smith asks how do these diorama makes us feel and I felt like a child myself. Never having traveled to some of these remote locations that are displayed in the dioramas, I can view them with a bit of a skeptics’ eye because I would have to accept the settings as true rather than know for a fact if it is so. Viewing the displays leaves me wondering if what I am seeing is the work of a taxidermist or an elaborate job
Jesse also asks why the paintings in the background are so bad and that is easy to understand, you do not want the viewer to be so impressed with the background, that he misses the foreground. No image I saw behind any of the diorama appeared to be in high definition. That is okay because visitors are not there to take in the art behind the animals. The scenes looking the way they do is helps to show the strength of each animal. The polar bear with the seal beneath his paw, the gorilla standing tall and the moose looking down on you each give you a sense of strength and ownership of his diorama.
Overall, I really enjoyed this visit and plan to make it a regular stop and next time, I will bring my camera.
No comments:
Post a Comment