Saturday, September 25, 2010

Wagner Free Institute of Science

My visit to the Wagner Institute was not what I expected.  Having traveled to many museums through my journeys in America and abroad, I expected to see a modern day building with many of the modern features. Instead I stepped through time to what seems, the late 19th or early 20th century.
Having missed the class visit to the Wagner Institute, I found myself at a disadvantage.  I did not get a guided tour and no one to ask any questions or to direct my questions towards.  The staff was so busy, they almost could not take my donation.  But I also considered it advantageous because I was not limited to what I saw or where I could go.  I spent time looking over some items that interested me while skipping those that did not.
From the outside rundown look to the heavy wooden doors and hardwood floors, you are stepping into another time.  I was thinking that this stuff is so old, I may not learn or see something new.  I was very wrong. 
Yes, many of the displays were old and the gems and minerals were identical to others, but the fossils and animals were different.
I had never been so close to a Bald Eagle, dead or alive, in my life.  I never knew a horse’s spine protruded the way it does and I never knew that Mastodons lived in North America as few as 5000 years ago.  The bat display made understanding how their sonar works and how other animals do not stand a chance of hiding.  I never knew so many types of squirrels existed.
This may not be the fanciest museum I have ever visited, but it is highly recommended for a nice trip in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment